Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Wowio... WOW!



Okay... so I was recalling all the companies and creators that I always thought were good about putting out quality stuff. Stuff that doesn't try too hard to be popular. Comics that are meant to be "read".

And there I was... looking at the comics over at Heroic Publishing. I haven't bought a comic of theirs in years. Mostly because I really haven't SEEN any. The comic shop I went to never stocked any. Either that or they sold out super-fast.
Anyways. Heroic Publishing is all about 'old school'. However, they have started to pander more to the t'n'a crowd here recently, but not as bad as Americomics.

The great thing about Heroic is that you can read sample stories on their website for free. And they change them pretty regularly. One story for each title.

Well... That WAS the great thing. But now... there's MORE!

I was looking at their website today and discovered that they've hooked up with Wowio, a free book-sharing site. Basically, you can download virtually every Heroic comic there is, or was. For free. All you need is the latest Adobe Acrobat to read them.


I went over to Wowio and checked it out. All you got to do is register and you can download up to three free books a day. They even have a comics and graphic novels section.
I'm now trying to decide on what to get first.

With the whole back catalog of Heroic Publishing to choose from (easy to sort through from here) and Blue Water Production's Ray Harryhausen line of comics... I've got a hard decision to make.

I highly recommend checking them out!
And don't forget- DC Comics has several first issues of their Vertigo titles online here.


Big kudos to all the companies that have contributed to Wowio!
However do remember... Digital comics are a nice alternative but nothing beats the printed page. The computer just doesn't smell the same...
So if you find something you like pick up a copy in the real world and feel the difference.

No comments: